Recipe: Berry Breakfast Cobbler

Being a food blogger, there are probably certain things you assume I have in my kitchen. Often those assumptions would not be true.

As I made this recipe yesterday, even I wondered how I don't have a cast iron skillet. Well, I certainly would love to have one of these in my kitchen soon. Until then, I've learned to work around the problem. A glass pie pan will work in a pinch, but requires a longer baking time.

My typical winter morning breakfast is oatmeal with dried fruit, nuts, and maple syrup. So when I saw this cobbler, it looked like a nice way to change things up. Also, I can use the berries in my freezer in a way other than making fruit smoothies.

As usual, I adapted the heck out of the recipe. I divided it in half and made my normal Smart Balance and vanilla rice milk substitutions; changed the berry proportions to use more blueberries than cranberries; used proportionately more sugar and used brown instead of granulated; used buckwheat flour instead of regular wheat flour; and drizzled honey over the top instead of sugar. I didn't have an orange, so I used lemon and I kept the whole egg for the protein.

I love this recipe and will definitely make it again! I poured vanilla rice milk over it while still warm and added sliced almonds, so it was sort of like eating my typical oatmeal, but felt more like dessert. Actually I did have it for dessert last night. So it's sort of like a reversible sweater. But food! Here's my adapted version of the recipe below. Enjoy!

Berry Breakfast Cobbler
(Adapted from Seven Spoons ~ makes 4-6 servings)

Ingredients:
  • 2 T Smart Balance
  • 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 3/4 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. finely chopped crystallized ginger
  • 1/2 tsp. lemon zest
  • 1/4 cup vanilla rice milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup blueberries
  • 1/2 cup cranberries
  • honey for drizzling
Instructions:

Set oven to 350 degrees. If you're using a glass pie pan like me, then put the Smart Balance in it and melt in the microwave. Set aside.

In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and egg. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, salt, crystallized ginger and zest. Whisk in the milk egg mixture just until combined.

Pour the batter in the pan and spread the batter evenly. Scatter the berries over the top. Drizzle honey over the top. Bake for about 50 minutes (if you are using a glass pan) or until baked all the way through and browned at the edges. The cobbler started to pull away from the sides when it was fully baked. If you are lucky enough to have a beautiful cast iron skillet, then it may take only about 25 - 30 minutes to bake.

After it's done, let it cool for about 10 minutes. Then serve as you like. Add nuts and any type of milk (soy, rice, hemp, etc.). I didn't have yogurt in the house as usual when I made this, but next time, I may try it with yogurt and maybe add a banana.

When I had it for dessert last night, I had it with a bit of whipped cream. Yum!


Anali's First Amendment © 2006-2013. All rights reserved.
This Post’s Link
Subscribe to blog posts. Follow me on Twitter. Join me on Facebook.
~ Amazon Store ~

Comments

Popular Posts